Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Power of Writing

I was stunned when I found out that the State of Israel (the one that we condemn everyday, but still do not legally recognize) produces 30,000 books annually compared to Egypt which produces only circa 300 despite the latter's population superiority (Future of Freedom, Fareed Zakaria). I wonder what is the rate of books per annum that Malaysia produces? It is proven that the moment Israel conducts a massacre or an atrocity, her citizens would quickly rally to her defence by writing more articles justifying her actions. When you read their writings, you are slowly desensitised and your angry feelings are placated to understand the predicament that they are in. Except for the few whose hatred towards Israel is entrenched, the desensitisation effect is felt globally.

As a citizen of Malaysia, I feel it is not only a moral obligation but also a civil obligation to write my thoughts about contemporary political issues that plague this nation. Political decisions, no matter if it is made by the benevolent, intelligent or the poor effects every individual in this nation. It is high time that I exercise my rights of freedom of expression (though limited) to full effect. As a citizen, its misguided to let the govern govern you without expressing how you want to be governed. The government is able to push you around however it wants if we do not speak out. In a democracy, the citizens need to be active to be the check and balance towards the government. We cannot rely on the judiciary, legislature nor (especially) the executive to protect our rights anymore! As the Nobel laureate Amartya Sen puts it:
 "The heart of a democracy beats only with the participation of all citizens in exercising their rights - first for inclusion in the political agenda issues of concern to them and second in the political process. Democracy becomes dysfunctional when the bureaucracy, the judiciary, the legislature, the private sector, the police and the military all use their power to enrich themselves and advance their own interests at the expense of civil society. Laws not withstanding, corruption undermines the rule of law."

The articles in my blog shall be short. I shall try my best to keep it precise, concise and succint. I understand that the attention span of many of us are very short. We absorb the message from videos and movies better than writing. Thus, if the issue that I'm going to write about consumes alot of the cyberspace, I shall compartmentalise it into numerous parts. Despite all that, I still believe that reading should be the primary hobby of all Malaysians. I must confess that I dont read alot. And that is a problem. As a Muslim, I was taught that the first verse that Allah revealed to Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) was Iqra (read). Such is the importance of reading and writing (how do you read if no one writes?). However, this culture which once permeated this society is fast eroding...

My conviction of the absolution of free speech is unshakeable (though the government thinks otherwise). This is because I believe society is rational and mature enough to rationalize controversial ideas an act in a civilized manner. For those who are irrational or extreme, there will always be moderate forces to critisize and correct those who are misguided. Thus, I welcome comments from anyone. The question would then be: Even though you disagree with what I'am saying, would you defend my right to say it? (even to the death?)

The numbers 900901 are part of the numbers in my identity card. The identity card in itself is a symbol of government intervention in our private lives. It makes you feel a prisoner within your own walls. In Rousseau's immortal words: "Man is born free. But everywhere man goes, he is in chains." I have read the Sedition Act, Universities and University Colleges Act and also the Printing Presses Act (just in case) to know what murky waters that I might have to wade in my endeavour to be a contributing citizen. I have a few radical ideas and I hope it can be presented without any barriers. This is the first article of many to coem. Wish me luck!

p/s: It's long enough that I have been sitting down idlying by. Things have happened to me. I think it's time that I happen to things.



2 comments:

Gine said...

Aha! I found someone who also believes in absolute free speech! Yes, I shall defend your right to say anything and everything that against my opinion. What characterizes an author is the intention behind his writings. Yet, only God judges a man's intention, we don't. Write away! :)

-cher linn-

Malaysian Citizen 900901 said...

Thank you very much!